Vazhakulam

Vazhakulam is my hometown. It is a small city located in the Ernakulam district of Kerala, India.


Vazhakulam is known as the pineapple city. It is a center for both pineapple production and business. Writing about Vazhakulam didn't seem like a good idea to me at first. But then I thought, why not?

Several weeks ago, I had to stay at a distant place. It was all fun in the beginning. But I started feeling homesick. A place that looked very charming to me initially, had now begun to look unpleasant. I couldn't stay there any longer. The shops, the streets, the people - everything felt overwhelming. I knew I had to get back home at once. 

I was in the bus on my way back home, looking out the window. As I took in the sights of the different places passing by my eye, I thought to myself, Vazhakulam is the best! It's not that any of those places were worse. They were even more beautiful and well-organized than Vazhakulam. The thought came out of sheer love, love for my hometown. The feeling of comfort and attachment, and the sense of belonging - it's best felt at home.   

I often wonder how people who travel abroad manage to cope with being far away from home without experiencing homesickness. It's not that they don't, they do. Living in a foreign country is not easy. Perhaps, once you do it, it might not feel that scary. That's just how life is. You learn to adapt overtime. You cannot always stay in your comfort zone. One day, you'll have to leave your nest. As of right now, that thought only frightens me more than it excites me. 


Twenty years of my life in this little town, and I'm only loving it more with each passing day. The cafes, the pineapples, the footways - I love it all. I love the pineapple city.





This post is a part of #BlogChatterA2Z 2023.
Previous post: Until Next Time !



 

Comments

  1. Very nice post. I like knowing about small towns of every state. There are lot of things to be known by outside people. Keep it up Anupama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day we have to leave the nest - yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. However high we fly it's always good to know there's a nest for us. 😌😌

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'the footways'- really?
    🤢

    ReplyDelete
  5. A place that we call home. Where you are who you are. Or rather why you are who you are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Onam

Oyasumi Punpun

Loss